Achilles No More

My heel procedure, only they slid it to the outside (to the maximum they could):

I think on mine the hardware went on the inside of the ankle as I have an incision there as well as on the outside. It’s that inside incision where I’ve got nerve entrapment in scar tissue going on leaving the entire heel pad numb, as well as some internal numbness in the pad of the forefoot.

That split tendon repair video is exactly what my surgeon is going to do. As my cousin the orthopedic surgeon (residence at Kerlan Jobe) said: it’s a carpenter’s job only you get to play with all these precision tools owned by the hospital. Compared to my calcaneal osteotomy, this should be a piece of cake. It is amazing how well the body responds to these surgical invasions.

I suffered a broken ankle in the summer of 2018, that required surgery to correct. I was in the middle of a summer of restoring my fitness, after years of business travel, and had been cycling every other day, and going to the Gym for weight training on the alternating days.
I was in a boot for almost 3 months and on a scooter for 10 weeks, I went to the gym for weight training, every day, and rode the scooter miles, on “walks” to the grocery store, around the neighborhood, etc. I ran into a long time acquaintance at the gym who had suffered a torn achilles, some months earlier. He was spending virtually every day at the gym, doing weight training and walking on a treadmill or riding a stationary bike. I started these activities as soon as my doctor allowed.
As soon as I was 100% weight bearing, I started regular long walks, cycling indoor and out (I cannot run due to problems with a disk in my lower back) and focused weight training on the calf muscle of my injured leg, which had atrophied dramatically.
It took a couple of months after becoming weight bearing to return my ankle to full flexibility and something approaching normal strength. It took almost 6 months to restore about 90% of my calf muscle, and a year later, it is still not completely back to normal size, but I have no restrictions in activities and feel no difference in strength.
When you start walking in the boot, look for a product called “Easy-up” to raise the level of your “other” shoe. It will save a lot of wear and tear on your lower back and hips by keeping them level.
Good luck - I know it’s a long recovery, but if you can make the time to remain active in some fashion, you’ll heal more quickly and be ready for action once healed.

1 Like

Thanks so much. That’s an excellent piece of advice.
I plan to do exactly that. I plan to follow directions and also be very patient, while working other muscle groups. I will continue to do cardio (maybe I can swim in a custom brace at some point) and otherwise, approach this as an opportunity to embrace perspective; on life, family and Grace

I’m flying up to attend the Cal game tomorrow. Seat are West side 13 on the 50, row 34. Don’t go zoob on me and push me down the stairs just because I’m not as fast as the rest.

I never really had the atrophy thing, but I had to dial back the PT after peroneas brevis repair because I knew the pain was wrong. Which brings up the most important advice: listen to what your body is telling you. There is good pain like soreness from a work out. There is bad pain. You should know the difference and adjust activity accordingly.

It’s great to read all these other experiences and recoveries to know that you are not alone.

Thanks so much

OK, I’m recovering from surgery at our ranch home in Stevensville, Montana. Surgeon did a tarsal tunnel release on one nerve while the other nerve was damaged and had developed a neuroma from being overly stretched in the calcaneal osteotomy last year. Basically, he had to slide the heal over to the extreme allowed and the nerve got stretched and damaged. To repair, he cut out the neuroma (akin to a bulge in a garden hose) and place the nerve ends in a dissolvable collagen tube where they grow back together. 20 years ago they would have cut a nerve graft from another area (leaving that numb) and sewn that in place, but there has been progress. Tests had indicated damage, but it revealed itself when he opened me up.

On the Achilles, there was a prominent bone spur which did not show on the x-ray, but was very apparent when he opened me up. The bigger the spur, the bigger the before and after difference in pain.

I’m 3 weeks out and walking in a cam walker boot, though I am allowed to lightly walk on it to the bathroom at night or stand on it in the shower. Just doesn’t want me to do aggressive loading or dorsiflexion. I am to wean out of the boot in another week. I return to work 1/13, but he recommended against going to NY for my next assignment which I will now handle remotely.

It is swollen, though I note some receding everyday. Heel pad still numb as are the two little toes. Back of heel still sore and stingy. That said, I’ve only taken a handful of the Hydrocodones since surgery. I’m pretty good with the pain tolerance.
Uploading: C418293B-E04C-4EBC-9808-0FF658EE0ADD.jpeg…

1 Like

Wow, you guys have been through a lot. I admire your pluck and determination. For athletic people, or for just people who love to work out, our “wheels” (legs all the way down to the ground) are so important and we tend to take them for granted. When I was 34 I was diagnosed with early degenerative arthritis in both hips and was told I’d have replacements within 20 years. I quit running — a tough thing for me to do— and moved to low-impact exercise (aerobic walking, elliptical, and a little treadmill) and have been asymptomatic ever since (and it’s been 30+ years with no replacement in sight — I hope my luck holds). My right knee was scoped 20 years ago and now I’m bone on bone there. I’m planning on a replacement in 3-5 years, or earlier if I can’t stand the pain anymore — so far it’s not affecting my life much.

My family hasn’t got a good orthopedic history, lots of arthritis. All of this reminds me of a joke I heard recently: Younger people need to enjoy their 20s, 30s and 40s, because in our 50s the “check engine” light starts to go on repeatedly. Every person I’ve shared that with who is in the over 50 age group has laughed ruefully.

Good luck, guys.

1 Like

Definitley check engine light stuff. In my case, this was 20 years of neglect on the prior athletic injuries. I am hopeful this is the last of it and I can get back at it on light impact stuff to knock off some of the weight I put on.

People asked me after last years’ osteotomy work whether it was worth it? My response was that I really did not have a choice. If not addressed, I was staring at failure of the ankle joint, joint replace and fusion, which typically do not last and create problems elsewhere. So the surgeon basically rebuilt my foot with my parts. It’s a shot you have to take.

I looked up and found a list of the top 23 foot and ankle surgeons in the US and my surgeon David Thordarson was there, along with Salzman at Utah.

Much as I love College Football, I do cringe whenever I see the leg injuries. Those kids really do sacrifice their bodies.