A zoob got his wings tonight

That is classic. Welcome to zoob, Mr Pope.

3 Likes

I didn’t record it to repost, and probably because, while I enjoy how painful this loss was for BYU, I just don’t care about them as an opponent. But somewhere towards the end of the game, can’t remember if it was just before overtime or in overtime, BYU’s big meathead power forward and Micky were battling. Zoob had Micky’s arm hooked and pulled him to the floor trying to make it look like he was pushed down. The ref was standing right there and totally no-called it. To me, it’s ■■■■■■■■ like this that negates all their whining. That is a cheap and dangerous play, and violates no one, but now two rules (hook and hold added last year, and now the flopping call added this year). There was plenty of ■■■■ like that, like the violent blasting through of the screen that went as a foul on Micky and put him out of the game temporarily. Reffing might have been somewhat inconsistent, and we certainly were more aggressive to the basket, but reffing did not decide this game.

4 Likes

The good news is Cougarboard is all in with him and many are saying since Utah owns the refs they should cancel any future games, they just can’t and won’t be able to win.

Best thing I’ve read all year.

8 Likes

It’s a tit bit petty. Hopefully the rivalry emotion a don’t get hooter before BYU starts punching people again.

2 Likes

They went from Pig Nose to Big Nose.

Danny Ainge is his uncle. Andy Toolson is his dad’s cousin. But your statement still works.

1 Like

Instead of saying “we didn’t make the plays” or “we gave up a big lead twice” or “we had 20 turnovers”, he blames the refs.

What a tool.

5 Likes

I only know because I had to look it up. I also remember Andy “The Tool” Toolson as a big flopping whiner back in the day.

The tie-in to Danny Ainge was interesting.

1 Like

Interesting side note: Mark Pope is married to Lynn Archibald’s daughter.

1 Like

With them losing 6 SRs, including Toolson, Haws, and Childs, and us returning everybody plus the addition of a fantastic recruiting class BYU isn’t winning this game again anytime soon.

3 Likes

Brevity is the soul of wit.

2 Likes

Dude! Don’t jinx it!

Love the IaWL reference
Wish I could give you a stocking full of stars…

1 Like

Not exactly in Larrys wheelhouse

3 Likes

just got around to looking it up, the refs for this game were all WCC refs with one guy who bounces between P12 and WCC.

Greg Nixon
Shawn Lehigh
Mike Scyphers

2 Likes

Wow, Pope may have just bought himself a season of difficulty. That is surprising that he’d eat his own like that. Or maybe not but definitely dumb.

He may not have know that they were WCC officials. Hope they eat him alive this season. Just to teach him a lesson in what not to do.

1 Like

He may not, but I would surmise that knowing your officials is an important part of the job. If I was a D1 coach, I’d for sure have at least one of my staff scouting the officials for me, especially for a heated rivalry game. It seems advantageous to know where they are from and what kind of game they typically call, that way you can try to play to the officials and know how to work them.

2 Likes

They were not WCC officials. There are no such thing. College hoops is different than football in that conferences do not have their own officials. The Pac 12, MWC, Big 12, WCC all pull from the same consortium of officials. They are regionally based and work miltuple conferences.

3 Likes