A recipe thread

I know there are cooks–quite a few–on this site. So let’s get some recipes out. This one is for a great soup. It takes time and probably a trip to the store, but as the cool weather approaches (and we are watching Utes football games on TV) this one is worth all you put into it.

Italian Wedding Soup

Ingredients

For the meatballs:

• 5¼ ounces ground beef
  • 5¼ ounces ground pork
  • 5¼ ounces ground veal
  • 2 large eggs
  • ½ cup panko breadcrumbs
  • ¼ cup finely grated pecorino cheese
  • ½ teaspoon kosher salt
  • ¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • ¼ cup finely chopped fresh Italian parsley leaves

For the soup:

• 2 tablespoons neutral oil, such as canola
  • 3 medium carrots, peeled and cut into ½-inch dice
  • 3 stalks celery, cut into ½ inch dice, plus leaves
  • 1 medium white onion, cut into ½-inch dice
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 pound escarole, washed thoroughly, tough outer leaves and roots removed, roughly chopped
  • 6 cups chicken broth
  • 4 large eggs
  • ½ cup finely grated pecorino cheese
  • Extra-virgin olive oil, for finishing
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • ½ pound mini pasta, such as tubetti, ditalini, pastina or pearl pasta

Directions

1. Make the meatballs: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Drizzle a baking sheet with olive oil and set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, combine beef, pork, veal, eggs, breadcrumbs, cheese, salt, pepper and parsley. Use your hands to mix well and form ½- to 1-inch mini meatballs, transferring to prepared baking sheet as you go. Bake until meatballs are brown and firm, about 15 minutes.
  3. While meatballs bake, make the soup: In a large pot over medium-high heat, heat oil until it shimmers. Add carrots, celery, celery leaves, onions and garlic. Cook, stirring, until vegetables soften, about 5 minutes. Stir in chopped escarole and chicken broth. Increase heat to high and bring to a boil. Lower heat to maintain a simmer, and add the baked meatballs. Simmer, stirring every few minutes, 30 minutes.
  4. While soup simmers, bring a big pot of salted water to a boil. Add pasta and cook according to package instructions. Drain.
  5. Crack eggs into a small bowl and whisk. Slowly drizzle beaten egg into simmering soup, gently swirling around with a wooden spoon to disperse. Remove soup from heat.
  6. Divide pasta among four bowls. Ladle in soup. Finish with a generous sprinkling of pecorino, a drizzle of olive oil and black pepper. Serve immediately.

I found this recipe years ago in a lifestyle type magazine from Louisiana whose title I’ve long since forgotten. It’s easy to make and serves a good crowd.

Italian sausage sandwich

2 pkgs Colossimo Mild Italian sausage
1 large can - sliced black olives
1 large pkg - sliced mushrooms
1 large onion
1 each - red, yellow, orange and green bell pepper
2 tbspns - bottled minced garlic
2 lbs - shredded mozzarella cheese
Poor boy sandwich rolls

Brown sausage in large electric skillet on medium heat.
Chop the onion and peppers add to the skillet.
Add the sliced mushrooms, olives and garlic to the skillet.
Stir contents and cover skillet. Cook for an hour, stirring occasionally to allow the vegetables to cook thoroughly.
Once vegetables are cooked, add cheese to the skillet and allow it to melt.
Once melted, serve in the poor boy rolls.

1 Like

What a great thread!
I’ll post one later…
I just wanted to say it

1 Like

I cannot give this post enough stars - I’ve been looking for a good, authentic recipe for this soup for years, and this looks like the best one yet. I’ll try it this weekend!

1 Like

I’ll come up with something. Many of my recipes center on New Mexico/West Texas/Arizona type chilies and heat. Also, I’ll have to convert some of my personal recipes that I keep in my head to a written format. Not as easy as it sounds. Although I do have a really good cheesecake recipe, again needs to be written down.

Yeah, I’ll come up with something.

1 Like

If you want to impress but don’t have a lot of time, this sauce is just the ticket. Serve over basically anything, beef, pork, fish, vegetables, just about anything.

1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion, diced
2-4 cloves garlic, minced
1 8-oz. package sliced mushrooms (optional)
1 4-oz. jar red or green curry paste
1 12.5-oz.can unsweetened coconut milk
4-oz. creamed cheese cut into 1/2" chunks.

In a saucepan, heat the butter and oil over medium heat until the butter is just bubbling.

Add the onions and saute about 2 minutes. Add the garlic and saute 2 minutes more. If using, add the mushrooms and saute until the mushrooms have released their liquid ad most of that liquid has evaporated, about 3 minutes more.

Increase the heat to medium high and add as much curry paste as you like. Personally I use the full jar but you can use less for a milder flavor. Stir the paste and the vegetables for 3 minutes to thoroughly blend. Reduce the heat back to medium and stir in the coconut milk and creamed cheese. Cook for 3-4 minutes or until the sauce is heated through and the creamed cheese has melted. Whisk the sauce to thoroughly combined. Season to taste with salt & pepper.

If you want a smooth sauce you can blend the sauce either in a blender or with an immersion blender. For a chunky sauce serve it as it.

1 Like

Smoked roast

4 Likes

Simple but good:

Grilled Tomatoes Recipe

• Prep time: 10 minutes
  • Cook time: 5 minutes
  • Yield: Serves 2-4 as a side

Ingredients

• 2 firm, ripe tomatoes (not overly ripe or they will fall apart when you grill them), cut in half around the middle
  • Olive oil
  • Kosher salt (or fleur de sel if you can get it)
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • 4 basil leaves, thinly sliced (roll them up like a cigar and then slice them to make nice thin slices)

Method

1 Remove watery pulp and seeds from tomatoes: Standing over a sink, use your fingers to gently dislodge and remove the watery pulp and seeds. (Although the seeds and pulp contain a lot of flavor, when you grill the tomatoes they are going to be lost anyway.)

2 Grill cut-side down: Preheat your grill on high heat for direct grilling. Use a grill basket or fine grill grate if you can, it will make it much easier to work with the tomatoes (or any other vegetables you grill).

Season the tomatoes with salt and pepper. Brush the cut side of the tomatoes with olive oil. Brush the grill grate or grill pan with olive oil.

Place the tomatoes, cut side down on the grill surface. Cover the grill and let cook for about 4 minutes. (Check after 2 minutes.)

Use a metal spatula to lift tomatoes off of the grill for serving.

3 Serve: Place on a serving dish, cut side up. Drizzle a little more olive oil on the tomatoes. Sprinkle with just a little more salt and pepper. Sprinkle with thinly sliced basil.

1 Like

“Day After” Beef Stew

2-3 lbs of smoked beef (usually leftover roast)
1lb peeled baby carrots
1 bunch celery
2.5 lbs (give or take) potatoes
1 yellow onion

In a 6 qt crock pot.

Cube the meat and place it in the pot
Add (after dicing in vidalia chopper) diced carrots. Peel the onion and potatoes before dicing and adding to the pot.

Add water, turn crock pot on high and let it cook. Occasionally stir. Let cook for 4 hours.

Be lazy and buy the biscuit tubes to make the biscuits. At a $1.19 it’s worth the mess avoidance. Follow the instructions on the tubes to cook the biscuits.

Once cooked use the biscuits by breaking one up in your bowl before adding your stew.

Enjoy.

3 Likes

just to mix things up, I thought this was a funny tweet

https://twitter.com/i/events/1311619953158549504

1 Like

That is funny. It might be even funnier knowing how low the bar is set in Ireland for good food.

3 Likes

It only goes lower when you get to Scotland.

#Haggis
#DareFood

1 Like

I’ve never been to Europe, but if I ever go, it will be to nations with great food - France, Italy, Greece. No way I’m paying to go to food poor countries in the UK or Scandinavia.

1 Like

As promised here is my recipe. The base recipe is the most important part. Feel free to play with variety afterwards. Everyone’s oven is a little different. So cooking times may vary. Don’t necessarily go by a timer, look at the cake, feel it. If it feels firm, odds are it’s ready to leave the oven. If it jiggles like jello, wait a few minutes and check again. I usually start with a 2hr cooking time if I added additional liquid like juice or pumpkin pie stuff, but I start with an hour if just the base or I added dry ingredients like cocoa powder.

CCU’s Cheesecake Recipe

Base
1 lb cream cheese
8 oz sour cream
8 oz ricotta
1 cup sugar
6 eggs
Zest of 1 ea: Orange and Lemon
½ to 1 Cup heavy cream
½ Cup flour
2+ tsp Vanilla extract or 1 tsp vanilla bean paste

Let stand to room temp, helps with mixing process. Mix in stand mixer (easier than by hand)., starting with cream cheese and sugar, then add sour cream and ricotta, then heavy cream, flour, eggs, vanilla and zest.

Graham Cracker Crust
1 ¼ Cup graham cracker crumbs
¼ Cup granulated sugar
1/3 to ½ Cup melted Butter

10” Spring form pan, lube generously, and put parchment paper in bottom of pan. Wrap in foil for water bath when baking cheesecake.

Heat oven to 350.
Mix all ingredients together. Place into 10” spring form pan and flatten to edges. Should be ~1/3” thick.
Bake for 15min. Remove from oven, lower heat to 200
Pour cheesecake mixture into pan. Place into a ½ sheetpan with enough water to come up to edge of sheetpan w/o spilling over.

Cook for 2hrs. Check, if not done, keep looking at 10min intervals. Don’t over cook or cake will crack.

Shortbread Crust
1 Cup melted butter
dash salt (if using unsalted butter)
½ Cup powdered sugar
2 Cup flour

Mix all together, and press into spring form pan like you would graham cracker crust. Cook at 350 for 15min. Remove from oven, pour in cheesecake mix, follow previous cooking instructions.

Cheesecake Variations

Pumpkin cheesecake: add 1 can of pumpkin pie mix, add spices per pumpkin pie recipe. Do not add citrus zest, you may need to add additional sugar to taste.

Key Lime: add 1 to 1 ½ cups of key lime juice to mixture, add an additional ½ cup flour, and zest of 2 limes.

Chocolate: Add ½ cup cocoa powder, preferably Duched cocoa, but any will work. Add nuts, or chocolate chips if desired. Use an oreo crust, follow directions for graham cracker crust, replace oreos for graham crackers.

Allow all to come to room Temp once cooked. Chill over night in refrigerator, cut into desired sizes after removal from spring form pan(s).

2 Likes

Awesome, thanks!

1 Like