2024 MBB transfer portal

The players in NFL,MLB, NBA are able to do their own NIL deals outside of their contracts with the teams. I don’t know how that will change even if colleges come up with their own compensation model.

1 Like
1 Like

Tidbits, with the parts that caught my eye italicized:

In what would be a significant element in the settlement, the court is expected to reaffirm the NCAA’s remaining rules around compensation, “including the prohibition on booster payments if they are not true NIL,” the document notes. While a settlement would not eliminate collectives, it will provide schools with “economic incentives” to bring them inside the university…

The settlement, as well, develops a new “enforcement infrastructure” specifically targeting pay-for-play rules around booster-led NIL collectives — an infrastructure supported by the court’s affirmation of NCAA compensation restrictions. This could potentially resolve a sticking point for administrators who believe that the settlement does not address what they describe as the “Wild West” environment across college sports recruiting in an era of open transfer and unregulated NIL payments.

Also as part of the terms, plaintiffs will agree to cooperate with the NCAA’s years-long congressional lobbying effort “regarding antitrust exemption,” the document notes. NCAA and conference leaders plan to continue lobbying lawmakers in a post-settlement world. They hope Congress will codify the settlement agreement with legislation to offer a more permanent solution or, at the very least, grant the NCAA protection to enforce its rules and deem athletes as students and not employees.

The settlement leaves open the possibility of athletes being deemed employees. The settlement can be “revisited and revised” if athletes become employees by either the courts or by voluntary nature. The agreement permits an adjustment “to an employment model with collective bargaining,” a concept that many feel is necessary for a more long-term solution to the athlete compensation idea.

The document reveals unpublished details around an annual revenue-sharing cap that schools are permitted — not required — to distribute to athletes. The cap is 22% of an average of power conference school’s media rights, ticket sales and sponsorships.

The cap remains a fluid and unsettled figure, and one that will fluctuate over time as athletic department revenues increase.

1 Like

I’m not a big follower of predictions on 247 sports, but they are predicting Ezra Asuzar from ECU will commit to Utah.

3 Likes

Good! A nice replacement for Keita. Hopefully this kid can start next to Lovering, which Keita couldn’t. A potential Depth Chart:

PG: Miro Little, David Katoa
SG: Mason Madsen, Hunter Erickson
SF: Gabe Madsen, Jaxon Johnson
PF: Ezra Ausar, Caleb Lohner, Keanu Dawes
C: Lawson Lovering, Zack Keller

That’s actually not a bad looking team all things considered. His last name is Ausar by the way. Not Asuzar

2 Likes

Utah now seems to be one of 2-3 finalists for 6’8" G/F Mike Sharavjamts from San Francisco, who is sought by a bunch of Power programs. He’d be a really nice get.

3 Likes

[quote=“operaman86, post:207, topic:9225”]

Good! A nice replacement for Keita. Hopefully this kid can start next to Lovering, which Keita couldn’t. A potential Depth Chart:

PG: Miro Little, David Katoa
SG: Mason Madsen, Hunter Erickson
SF: Gabe Madsen, Jaxon Johnson
PF: Ezra Ausar, Caleb Lohner, Keanu Dawes
C: Lawson Lovering, Zack Keller

That’s actually not a bad looking team all things considered. His last name is Ausar by the way. Not Asuzar

[/quot

I believe both Katoa and Johnson are Mission bound.

I listened to Keller’s interview with Runnin UTES podcast (very good podcast if you like the Runnin Utes). Keller played AAU ball with Lovering and Jake Wahleen. He said he can play the 5, but is a natural 4 and believes most of his minutes will be at the 4.

1 Like

I thought Jaxon Johnson is going on a mission.

1 Like

He is. So is Katoa.

1 Like

Never mind then. I apologize too because I forgot Jake Wahlin. I was just looking at the players who have committed with the players who are returning. That would mean…

PG Miro Little, Hunter Erickson
SG Mason Madsen, Hunter Erickson
SF Gabe Madsen, Jake Wahlin, Keanu Dawes
PF Ezra Ausar, Zack Keller, Keanu Dawes
C Lawson Lovering, Caleb Lohner

Are we sure Lohner is going to play basketball too?

Ausar has committed??

I’m not. If he survives FB season, he could be a backup small 4 - rebounding + an occasional 3-point threat.

Anything we get out of Lohner would be gravy. Never say never… but we need more bigs.

1 Like

I guess it’s not that shocking to think we have two
players named Hunter Erickson, but two players named Keanu Dawes? The odds are staggering!

Harlan and the coaches don’t control NIL money. That is all private. The players make contracts with the NIL consortium as individual players… The amount of NIL money available for BB players is totally dependent on Corporate and individual commitments. If we don’t have enough NIL there isn’t anything the University can do about it. The University isn’t even allowed to raise funds for that purpose.

3 Likes

You must have gone to different NIL meetings than I have. They were all held at the U, they were all choreographed by the athletic department. Agree that the actual “ask” at these events is done by non-U people, but they are all there & know exactly what will be said. They (U staff) are happy to answer all questions. And the $ come from the Crimson Collective—-not individuals & corporations & the U staff know exactly what is paid to each player.
Kyle W & Craig Smith are in the loop on every $ decision & Harlan needs to agree before the Collective signs on.

But I agree that “donors” are totally funding the Collective, not the U.

2 Likes

Yep. They actually have a budget for each sport, even though it is not their money that is being spent. The amount they have in the basketball budget is not nearly enough to hold onto a player like Deivon Smith. There’s a lot of work to do.

2 Likes

Or, there is need for acceptance of Utah’s new place in the college sports hierarchy.

1 Like

Looks like this one is official now. 4-star transfer power forward Ezra Ausar commits to Utah basketball link

7 Likes

Craig Smith has hauled ■■■ and rebuilt his team after NIL and Wild West transfer rules decimated it.

That kind of effort is all I ask of anyone.

8 Likes