2008 10 team playoff would have been great

Nice troll attempt, good effort.

Troll attempt? Y’all beat our asses. I have said numerous times I think Utah was better than UF and would have won it all if the playoff existed.

2 Likes

Deleted, resist feeding the troll.

Don’t feed Moose. He’s been at this crap for years and years, across many Utah boards. He likes to push buttons.

As for your link, I think it makes for a fun thought experiment, but it also shows just how far the D1 CFP has to go to be taken as gospel. Our current 4 team format just leaves much to be desired.

3 Likes

Well, you know I want 10 conference champs and 6 at large. That would be a true playoff with everyone having a legit shot.

As long as the 6 at large teams aren’t all from the SEC…

1 Like

I’m with you. I think 16 would be best for the CFP. I think I’d be ok with 10 or 8, but 4 as it sits now is too small of a sample size. As you pointed out, indirectly, someone could be doing great at the end of the season and win it all. We see surprise wins in bowl games.

1 Like

8 or 16 because byes are dumb. The difference between #2 and #3 can be marginal, but getting a bye as #2 when #3 has to play one of the best teams in the nation is a huge advantage. With 8 and 16, it can be settled on the field instead of in a committee meeting.

2 Likes

Yup. Nobody gets a bye if I were choosing the system. The only benefit is the higher seed is host for the first two games.

Lol. I doubt that would ever happen. That said if the PAC 12 had 7 top 15 teams I wouldn’t care if they did it. I just want the best teams playing.

It’d be nice for at least 1 inter-conference P5 game in the last month of the season to better gauge cross-conference comparisons. When it’s the 1st 3 games and then into conference play, sometimes a conference ranking gets bloated just playing each other because they happened to have a better early season run. A later non-conference game would be a decent indicator to see if they still were on track.

1 Like

Wait. Then the SEC would have to cancel their games with Troy State and Louisiana Monroe.

2 Likes

To be fair the “cupcake” week this year is before these games:
Alabama v Auburn
South Carolina v Clemson
Missouri v Arkansas
Florida v Florida State
UGA v Ga Tech
UK v Louisville
Texas A&M v LSU
Ole Miss v Miss State
Tennessee v Vanderbilt.

That said, it would be nice to get rid of the FCS Non-P5 matchup and play another conference game. I wish all P5 Conferences banned FCS scheduling.

2 Likes

Big deal. Other conferences don’t have cupcake games before their big games.

FWIW, every SEC school plays a P5 non-conference game. I wish every P5 did that. Luckily only four Pac 12 teams neglected scheduling a P5 non-conference. Three Big XII neglected to schedule P5. One Big Ten neglected to Schedule P5. Lastly, the ACC had only one team neglect scheduling a P5 matchup.