17 Inches

I guess I was in the wrong LDS scout troop. They never gave us a badge we didn’t earn individually. The scoutmaster was strict about that and my dad was his assistant and if anything was even harder on badge quals. I only made it to 1st class before I found many other things that interested me more.

1 Like

There is wide variability, even outside Utah. Every troop is different, and every BSA district is different. (The district is the place where proposed Eagle projects are approved.) I was a district commissioner in L.A. and a council executive board member in L.A, and so I got to see a lot of Scouting there, warts and all.

The problem in LDS Scouting was that every boy was automatically enrolled in Scouting at age 11, whether he wanted to be or not. The second biggest problem is that leaders were assigned, they didn’t volunteer. There’s a difference between a boy who wants to be a Scout and one who’s doing it because he has to, and between a leader who’s been asked to serve (in a situation where it is difficult to say no) and one who steps up and wants to serve boys. Third, leaders got reassigned after a year or two. Finally, maybe half of leaders ever got training. So, depending on how those 4 factors played out, you might get a pretty good program in an individual troop (maybe a truly excellent one) or you might get a pretty lame one. This was not limited to LDS Scouting at all–it was widespread, although LDS Scouting had more warts than most.

I do have to say I met some terrific, dedicated servant-hearted people in Scouting. I believe that run correctly, it was the finest leadership and personal development program for boys anywhere. It’s a shame that the perv factor ruined it. There were herculean efforts made to keep abusers out–I saw those efforts up close–but in the end it just wasn’t enough. Too many kids got hurt in ways that will scar many of them for the rest of their lives. It actually makes me ill to think about it. Maybe when the BSA comes out of their bankruptcy they’ll have a better way to protect boys. In any case they’re permanently in my rearview mirror now.

P.s. Both my sons earned their Eagles the right way. They had a real stickler for a scoutmaster. :slight_smile:

1 Like

[quote=“LAUte, post:20, topic:4409”]
When I was a baby lawyer, I had mentors who refused to let me get by without my best work, especially written work. I am that way now. Many young lawyers really don’t know how to write well and they need lots of coaching and mentoring, lots of one-on-one discussions, a lot of editing, and so forth. What’s very rewarding to me is that over time, they do get it and they are always grateful. [/quote]

In my mind, there is a big difference here. I’d fully expect you to be treated the way you were (as long as there was no abuse) as a professional and a budding “expert”. As a lawyer, you are supposed to be the cream of the crop. You have a responsibility to the public to be the best and your superiors have a responsibility to help you get there.

For a high school athlete? There is a responsibility to become better, but the coaches also have a responsibility (in my opinion) to make the event fun and a memory that will be a positive one for the kid.

I’m way more open to widening the plate for a 15 year old or an 18 year old or even a young college age person (as long as improvement is seen) than I would be towards a professional.

2 Likes

I think your #2 and #3 were good things more often than bad. The lifer scout volunteers were usually crazy. I’d prefer someone given an assignment based on caring and competence. Those leaders were always great for me. And rotating just gave people a needed break and gave us boys a chance to taught by someone else.

My scout experiences were amazing. They got a lot of the merit badge stuff out of the way and gave us outdoor experiences that few people get. I’ve done canoe trips, cycling trips, 50 mile backpack trips in the Uintas. I’ve climbed King’s Peak, Wheeler Peak, a number of the Wasatch Peaks. That’s what it’s all about. Forget writing a 500 word essay for an Environmental Science merit badge. And forget the crazy leaders of scout camps, especially the nutbars who think the “order of the arrow” is a good idea.

1 Like

You had a great experience. Good for you.

You’re right about the nut case leaders. Some treated Scouting like a paramilitary organization. (It simply is not.) I think lifers are a problem more often than not. But IMO to do the job right you have to be committed and take it seriously, like your leaders obviously did. It’s hard to do it well with only a year or two of experience, and without continuity in the role. Short-term assigned leaders can succeed very well, but short tenure makes it harder to be successful.

All that said, it’s not rocket science. My 2-step formula for success as an LDS Scout leader was always:

1. Love the boys.
  2. Have a strong program.
  3. Remember the first 2 rules.

Of course that formula works for any youth program…

1 Like

Have you ever seen anyone put “Life Scout” on their resumé??

I don’t think anyone should put Eagle Scout on their resume either and probably for the past 10-20 years. It’s just too controversial and the organization is not looked at positively for maybe 50% of those hiring (org can be seen as white, bigoted, outdated, predatory, etc.). Although I earned an Eagle and my current boss also has one (different religion), there is a hesitancy to talk much about it in the workplace - might be just as touchy as religion or politics in the workplace.

1 Like

Agree - the dilution of the value for those that just show up makes those that really earned it be penalized. The value of really earning it gives the skills, confidence, and leadership that accompany it, so usually it does work out in a way. Unfortunately, the organization itself and/or bad apples as leaders has put a stain on the value that also sadly penalizes the kids that did it right. The military is a good point where they recognize the value of being disciplined over time to complete something big. But in general, probably isn’t a credential worth noting now and could be as controversial as saying you are a registered (political party) or listing a church mission. It could lead to being accepted on that bias or being ignored immediately - just too polarizing now.

2 Likes

I haven’t seen it on a resume for a long time. I remember about 14 years ago a young lawyer separated himself from the pack and got hired at my firm because he had his Eagle. I wasn’t part of that decision, just heard about it. And my firm was and is a very progressive place. Times have changed. No one puts anything hinting of conservative values on their resumes today.